Why You Should Never Eat Tilapia
This is a fish that has become rather very popular in America since it’s cheap, it doesn’t have that classy “fishy” taste, its skinless, boneless, and the most important thing – everyone can cook it – you can’t mess up by overcooking, which is a problem with many other fish variety.
Now, this would be a perfect thing for eating, if it was not an entirely farmed fish, meaning the farming is done on industrial scale, with thousands of fish being harvested every day.
How healthy could that be? Well, not at all. Since they have to harvest thousands a day they have to fatten them up on GMO corn and soy pellets. Now, normally, in the wild, this fishes eat algae and lake plants, which is really healthy, but on farms, it makes them completely non healthy for us.
Here are several reasons why we should stop eating it, right now:
- Inflammation – recent studies have shown that farm-raises Tilapia may cause more inflammation which can lead to heart disease, arthritis, asthma, and a world of other serious health problems. In fact, that’s the main reason why we eat fish – to lower the risk of getting heart attacks! In fact, it is much better to eat hamburger or bacon than tilapia!
- Cancer causing pollutants – as we all know, anything that is not grown in normal conditions is dangerous. But, farmed fish have at least 10 times the amount of cancer causing organic pollutants compared to the wild variety – this contributes very much to the feeds used on farm raised fish.
- Pesticides and Antibiotics – you might ask now – what? Where could fish get antibiotics and pesticides? Truth of the matter is – they can! Farm owners give them antibiotics regularly to keep them alive because they are more susceptible to diseases. The pesticides come also from the farm owners, since they also have to give it to them in order to combat sea lice.
- Poor Omega-3 to Omega-6 Ratios – all of this been said, it is more than clear that farm-bred fish have lower levels of healthy nutrients. So, if you hope that you’ll get all the omega-3-acids and proteins you need by eating this fish, you couldn’t be more wrong. Instead, they have a higher concentration of omega-6-acids. The problem with omega-6-acids is that too much of that could cause inflammation to the body due to imbalance.
- High Dioxin Levels – dioxin is a very toxic chemical that contributes to cancer and other complications. And, dioxin levels are 11 times higher in farm-bred fish compared to wild fish. The problem with dioxin is that once it enters our body, it can take a very long time until it is let out, nearly 7 to 11 years.